Wednesday, February 15, 2012

be my valentine?

So I am generally just not a big fan of Valentine's Day at all.
I, like any other cynical woman, think it's a crap holiday thought up by Hallmark to make money.
I thought that maybe this year since I do kind of have a guy in my life (long story) that I might finally be able to play on the "I'm not alone on Valentine's Day!" team, but alas, things don't work out that easily.

So with no plans at all, I started the day off in a bit of a funk that was only deepened as my classmates and teachers got a myriad of gifts, while all I got was a heart-shaped sucker from the cafeteria ladies.

I was more grateful for it than I sound. Or I was until it shattered and I only got to eat the slim fragment that remained on the stick. Many broken heart jokes were made, mostly by me. I'm so witty I don't know what to do with myself. 

Then a girl got a bouquet of flowers from her mom, and so I decided to tell my mom about it and make her feel like the clearly terrible mother she is for not thinking to do the same for me. (totally kidding, btdub. my mom's the best. and if you don't believe me, just keep reading.) 
We convinced our teacher to basically let us do whatever we wanted and work on each other, despite the fact that we usually are only allowed to do so on Fridays. Some of us had dates to get ready for, after all! ...well. Not me, personally. But still. So my best school friend Amber and I traded pedicures and then I supervised as Mr. Craft (the 61 year old man in our class. Yeah, you read that right.) shampooed and rolled Amber's hair. 

As I was leaving, I noticed that I had a text from my mom asking me where I was. In the process of my answering her, she calls me, all flustered, and says, "Where are you?!" I told her that I'd just left and asked what her problem was, and she says, "Well, I had flowers delivered to the school for you, but when they got there, they told them you'd already left. So I ended up just canceling the order." Yeah. I almost got flowers and then didn't. And my poor momma almost freaked from the drama of it all. Sad, right? (Update: I asked my teachers today if anyone had come with flowers for me, and they said no one ever did. So either there was a considerable mix up, or someone's lying, we're not really sure which. In any case, it turned out to be a good thing my mom canceled the order.) 

I ended up going home for the night, which is a rare luxury for me because my school's too far away from my hometown for me to just run home every time I want to. However, it was Valentine's Day, and I figured I deserved some fun. My parents and I had dinner together at our town's beloved Mexican restaurant, and then I went to a basketball game at my high school. 

I didn't actually get to see a lot of the game, however, because I helped my friends Rachel and Page (who I actually went to the game to see) man the cupcake table, proceeds from which benefited the Autism Center of Tupelo in honor of Jasper, the autistic son of a couple from our church who are also teachers at the high school. Aside from it being for a good cause, Quess and Anita are pretty much two of our favorite people in the world. They're hilarious and amazing and graciously open up their home for us to hang out every week, as Anita is also over our church's youth bible drills.  So I was more than willing to do whatever to help them out. 

Delicious and for a good cause? Yes, please. 
Anita is an amazing baker and made these bad boys herself. Did I mention she's the best? 

They've also sold these throughout the week during school, and as of last night, they'd made nearly a thousand dollars! And the week's not even over yet, so there's no telling how much money will end up being raised. I, personally, think Jasper's cuteness has a lot to do with it. 

 I mean, how could you not give money to whatever he wanted you to? 
Adorbz to the max. 

Being the sentimental goob that I am, I had to take the opportunity to snag a "It's (insert holiday here), we have to take a best friends picture!" picture. 

aaaand this was the result. she doesn't hate me, I swear. she's just not very fond of sentimental photography. 

that's better. 

So all in all, suck levels of this year's V-Day were actually pretty low. I didn't spend the evening with the man of my dreams, but I did get to spend it with my family and best friends, doing something for others instead of myself. Can't ask for much more than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment